Wednesday 7 August 2013

Easy Alterations

Today's style prompt is customise, which is quite apt for me because I alter alot of the things I buy. I'm not a master sewer and would struggle to make something from scratch, but letting down or bringing up hems, removing sleeves, taking things in... I can do that! Being able to operate a sewing machine is an excellent skill my mum and aunt taught me and it has really opened the world of fashion up to me. 

People often say to me that they can never find anything good in an op shop. I tell these people that a) they are crazy and b) the trick to 'finding something good' is going in with an open mind. It is very easy to be overwhelmed by piles of k-mart tops circa 2002, granny jumpers and polyester shirts, but when you start looking at things in terms of how they can be altered or customised to suit your body/style/mood then the possibilities are endless.


When I go op shopping I look out for bright colours, great patterns and interesting details. It's wonderful to be able to try on a sack of a dress with no shape but great fabric and know that I can take it in and up and it will look awesome (most of the time!).


This dress is one that I bought a few years ago at an Anglicare shop in Queensland. According to the label it is size 18, but I couldn't go past the great neckline and candy striper pattern, so I snapped it up and took it home as a project. It used to be a weird length, it fell about two inches under my knees, so I hemmed it short and took it in at the sides to re-invent it as a little 60s mod number. I'm wearing it today with my new Rachel Antonoff brogues, white stockings from Myer and sunglasses from Urban Outfitters.


No comments:

Post a Comment