Saturday 30 August 2014

Restyle Day 30 - Double Denim

Ahhh double denim, how you terrify me. I find double denim is either a look you love or loath, there doesn’t seem to be much middle ground. I was sitting happily in the loath camp, mainly because I didn’t think I could ever pull off a double denim look. This Restyle prompt was a serious challenge (probably the hardest day yet) but I am actually very pleased with my outfit.


Mixing denim pieces is a fine art and I certainly had to think long and hard about how to manage it successfully. The most important thing to remember if you want to avoid a Canadian tuxedo situation is to mix denim washes (light, dark, acid wash, black etc). Luckily the Australian Red Cross op shops are full of awesome denim items so finding something to fit this prompt wasn’t hard.




When I bought this dress it was full length, had long sleeves, massive shoulder pads and was a size 18. I loved the idea of a denim dress so I thought I’d experiment with taking it in and up and removing the sleeves. An hour or so at the sewing machine and a few darts later, I am so happy with the result! I really didn’t think I’d be able to make it wearable, but at $5 it was worth the chance. That’s one of the myriad of things I love about buying things in op shops, it really allows you to experiment with DIY, sewing and styling without breaking the bank if it's a total disaster


Dress: Australian Red Cross Hamilton Hill $5
Shoes: Australian Red Cross Willagee $20
Hat: Op Shop
Jacket: Garage Sale
Socks: Target
Sunglasses: Stella McCartney 

Photos by Tash

The Restyle Photo-A-Day Challenge is proudly supported by Lotterywest

No comments:

Post a Comment