Monday 14 October 2013

Around the World in 15 Outfits - Accessories

Finally my beautiful city has turned the weather on! It was gorgeous and warm yesterday so I spent a sunny Sunday afternoon playing lawn bowls and sipping cider with friends. In between games I managed to sneak off with my friend to take some outfits pictures. Tash knows how to use my camera better than I do, so these turned out really well! (Thanks Tash!!)


This wasn’t the outfit I had planned for my next Around The World post, but I was in a very summery, ladylike mood yesterday and I couldn’t resist throwing on this lovely vintage Laura Ashley dress. So I’m going to tell you about accessories instead! Vintage accessories from overseas make excellent souvenirs. They are small enough to fit (multiple) in your suitcase and you can wear them with lots of different outfits, always taking a bit of Paris (or New York or Prague or San Francisco) around with you. Second hand accessories are also great if you can’t commit to a fully thrifted outfit and just want to incorporate a little bit of vintage in to your look. They can give your outfit a retro feel without being head to toe in vintage (although there’s nothing wrong with that!).



I found this little 1960s white and yellow flower brooch in a vintage store in Berlin and bought it for 5 euros. I bought a pink one as well, they had a few other colours and I’m kicking myself now that I didn’t just buy them all. I’ve recently fallen in love with brooches and I wear my yellow and white flower all the time (here, here and here are examples).  The big blue flower in my hair is from Prague. It’s not vintage, but it is silk and I bought it from a street market where a little lady was sitting in the snow and making them by hand (again I wish I had bought more than one). So there you have it, if all else fails, buy accessories! (that should be everyone’s motto to live by).



My dress was $10 from Vinnies in Claremont, my shoes were $4 from Portcare op shop in O’Connor and my sunglasses are Prada. I’m so excited for more long sunshiny days like yesterday, bring on the warm weather! 




No comments:

Post a Comment