Monday 20 June 2016

Home Sweet Home

I finally got my act together and snapped some pictures of my house while it was spick and span and looking delightful! I’m excited to be able to share a few corners of our little unit, because I had such fun decorating and styling it up. We moved in about 8 months ago after living with my parents for 6 months and before that with some friends for a few years. We had no furniture and hardly any homewares, so the race was on to quickly and cheaply turn our sterile little unit into a cosy and functional home. And boy do I love a challenge!



Within about 4 weeks of moving in I had furnished the whole house. Gumtree quickly became my favourite place to score bargains and we picked up some awesome things for next to nothing, like our mid-century drinks cabinet, green velvet arm chair, spare bed and a variety of shelves and cabinets. I found a few gems in op shops as well, like our solid jarrah coffee table for $20 and our perfect matching bedside tables. I found op shops the best for decorative bits and pieces. Almost all of our art was thrifted and I found countless colourful vases, candle sticks, lamps, throws and pillows to add a personal touch to the place.



Like almost every 20-something I fell back on Ikea, Target and Kmart when I couldn’t find what I wanted second hand. I tried really hard to make sure the cheap and cheerful new items are spread out amongst all the vintage and thrifted stuff, I desperately don’t want my house to look like a floor display at Kmart (as great as they are!).





Our unit has boring grey speckled tiles which I really don’t like, so I was very keen to cover as much of it up with great rugs. Turns our great rugs are EXPENSIVE! I didn’t realise they were so pricey until I started shopping and was so disappointed with how hard it was to find nice ones at vaguely affordable prices. This one is from Freedom and at $350 it was my biggest splurge but definitely worth it. 

Last but not least will you check out that magnificent table!! Luke made it! He salvaged some beautiful jarrah off cuts from his work and managed to build this table over a weekend. The base is made from galvanised steel pipes from Bunnings (my idea!) and the whole project cost about $150 in total. It’s my favourite thing in the whole house and makes our place look so fancy.




Sorry this is a bit of an essay, but I’m so excited to finally share my little home on the blog. If you have any questions about anything in particular please let me know! All I can say is that if you’re moving house or looking to re-decorate a space then DEFINITELY hit up your local op shop first, you can save some serious money!


5 comments:

  1. Your place looks so cheerful! Love the vintage touches mixed with modern decor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Beth! I really enjoyed decorating it, now I can't stop buying homewares though!

      Delete
  2. very very cool! I love the colours. You should be very proud, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you've decorated the place! So bright and cheery! We've been in our place just over a year and still haven't hung any of our prints/paintings - I need to get my act together!
    Gum tree is fab isn't it, and I think I'll definitely have to check out more op shops now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your home looks amazing loving the pops of colour and it's full of personality too. Got to love Gumtree for a bargain!

    ReplyDelete